Kim Yu Na was born on September 5, 1990, in Bucheon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. Kim Yuna began skating when she was seven. In 2003, at age 12, she became the youngest woman ever to win the senior title at the South Korean Figure Skating Championships. The sport was not popular in South Korea back then though.The Koreans only started to pay serious attention to the young star after Kim won the silver medal at the 2005 Junior Grand Prix Final, the country’s first ever medal in an international figure skating championship.
Kim made her senior international debut at 2006 Skate Canada where she won a bronze medal. She continued to excel in various competitions and won the gold at the 2006/2007 Grand Prix Final in Russia. Kim claimed the world records in 2007 for both the short and long programs under the new ISU scoring system. She only managed a bronze at the 2007 World Championships in Japan though, while successfully defended her title at the 2007/2008 Grand Prix Final in Italy.
Kim again won the bronze medal at the 2008 World Championship in Sweden despite competing with a back injury. She got silver in the 2008/2009 Grand Prix Final in South Korea. Kim’s dominance began to surface in 2009 with a new world record in short program at the 4CC. She set another new record in short programs and overall score enroute to her gold medal at the 2009 World Championship in USA. She was the first female skater to surpass 200 points under the new ISU judging system.
Kim continued to break record after record and won her third Grand Prix Final title in Japan for the 2009/2010 season. Kim broke the world record again with a total of total of 228.56 points, en-route to winning the gold medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.
Kim is a huge celebrity in South Korea, appearing in various commercials e.g. for Nike, Kookmin Bank, Hyundai Motors, Hauzen (profile pic) and Anycall etc. She is also appointed as an ambassador for the 2010-2012 Visit Korea Year.
Kim’s official sponsors are Kookmin Bank, Nike, Korean Air and Hyundai Motor Company. Her other endorsements include Anycall (mobile phone), Hauzen (air conditioner), Lac Vert (cosmetics), Maeil Dairies Co.Ltd (Dairy products), Saffron (fabric softener) and J. Estina (Jewelry). Her skating music and other favorites were compiled in the album Yuna Kim – Fairy On ICE – Skating Music (Universal Music Korea, 2008).
Kim has appeared on multiple commercials in South Korea. She sings in some commercials and also sang in T.V. specials. Her commercial for a new touchscreen haptic phone from Samsung Electronics, dubbed as Yuna’s Haptic (SPH-W7700), debuted in South Korea on May 24, 2009. In the commercial, she plays a rock singer, a teenager, and a writer to show off various features of the phone. Samsung Electronics has sold over one million devices in a record seven months.
Kim has been a generous donor. She has donated more than 2 billion won ($1.7 million) in the last 3 years. Kim has been supporting young figure skaters, as well as promising skaters since 2007. She has also been supporting patients suffering rare diseases and children in need. Below is part of a list of donations made by her.
- Jan 2007 – 12 million won scholarships to 6 young skaters after her first advertisement endorsement of Kookmin Bank.
- May 2007 – 10 million won scholarship to fellow skater Hyeon-Jung Kim after making a contract with LG Household & Health Care advertisement.
- Sep 2007 – 200 million won (100 million of her own + 100 million won additional contributions from Ivy Club) in form of school uniforms to low-income-family youths after making a contract with Ivy Club advertisement.
- Dec 2007 – 100 school uniforms (worth 20 million won) to youths damaged by Taean oil spill disaster.
- Apr 2008 – Visited to Everland with 800 children from Seoul Boys Town on Kookmin Bank Volunteer Day.
- May 2008 – 50 million won (in addition to contributions from Daishin Securities) to young skaters after giving a talk to public at Daishin Investment Forum 2008.
- May 2008 – 40 million won worth of one-year provision of Maeil Dairies Company products to low-income-family youths.
- May 2008 – Participated in the recording of a humanitarian song “I Love Asia” Project to help earthquake victims of Sichuan, China.
- Dec 2008 – 100 million won worth of school uniforms to low-income-family youths after renewing her advertisement contract with Ivy Club.
- Dec 2008 – Over 1,000 dolls, she received at Grand Prix Final, to juvenile cancer wards in hospitals in metropolitan Seoul area.
- Dec 2008 – 50 million won to young skaters at “Little Yuna’ Youth skaters support project” Campaign of Sports Toto Lottery Company.
- Dec 2008 – 144 million won, total amount of ticket earnings from the charity ice show “Angels on Ice 2008” to children with rare diseases and juvenile cancer patients.
- Apr 2009 – 100 million won worth of dairy products to low-income-family youths through the Seongname Welfare Center of World Vision.
- May 2009 – Visited Asan Hospital to inquire after juvenile cancer patients on Children’s Day.
- May 2009 – 100 million won and skate boots while participating in UNICEF Pigotta Doll Project to help children with immunization campaign.
- Dec 2009 – Her portrait rights for free to be included in the Christmas seals for tuberculosis eradication.
- Jan 2010 – 100 million won through UNICEF to Haiti relief.
- Apr 2010 – 40 million won fee for appearing in a radio campaign for the rights of the disabled to Korea Foundation for Persons with Disabilities.
- Apr 2010 – 50 million won, some part of earnings from Festa on Ice 2010, to ChunAhn-Häm (sunken Korean battleship) victims who passed away in the ship.
Checkout the ASCII Art of Kim Yu Na in the below link. Please use Lucida Console font to view the art in Notepad. Before that in Notepad go to Format and Uncheck the Word Warp and then Go to Font and Reduce the Font Size to 3 to 4 pt. Use only Lucida Console Font.